Science offers many opportunities to students to investigate and understand the world around them.
Years 8 to 10, the science course covers five strands:
- Investigating Scientifically - Usually an opened ended approach to experimentation
- Energy & Change - Based on theories of physics
- Life & Living - Involving biology and ecology
- Natural & Processed Materials - incorporating chemical models
- Earth and Beyond - using geology and astronomy
Lower school science is based on a practical approach and the students are involved laboratory work to understand and attain the outcomes of the course.
Years 11 and 12 can choose from Curriculum Council subjects of Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology, Senior Science (Marine Studies bias) or Physics.
The science department actively encourages the students to become involved in:
- National Science Competition for years 8 to 10
- National Chemistry Competition for years 11 & 12.
- Electric Vehicle Challenge for years 8 to 10 - Academic Extension
- Science Talent Search for all years - Academic Extension
- RACI Chemistry Titration Competition for year 12
- CSIRO Student Research Scheme for year 12
- National Science Youth Forum for year 11
- Science and Engineering Summer School for year 10
- Rio Tinto Australian Student Mineral Venture for years 10 to 12
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Science's Camp for year 11
- The Siemens Science Experience for year 9
- The Solar Car Challenge for all years
- STAWA Aviation Day
- APPEA program for year 10